Indie Studio Quality of Life and Development
While major game companies are often criticized for the treatment of their employees, many game developers and others in the industry turn to indie developers to seek out places that may treat them more fairly. However, with indie game development comes other problems, including less funding and, of course, competition with the more well-known games.
This page attempts to provide links to articles with insight into the indie game industry and its place in the gaming industry as a whole.
Get an inside look with the new documentary GameLoading: Rise of the Indies - premiering at GDC 2015.
Benefits of Indie Developing
- Chris Remo on Gamasutra: Apr. 21, 2010: Game developer research: Indie earnings doubled when working on team
- Ben Kuchera on Ars Technica: Aug. 23, 2011: Feral developers: why game industry talent is going indie
- Robert Madsen on IGDA: Aug. 1, 2014: IndieSpective: The man with a thousand faces
- Guillame Boucher-Vidal on Polygon: Sep. 11, 2014: How game devs can hire the best talent, even without salaries
- Dennis Scimea on Polygon: Sept. 24, 2014: Helping indie developers work faster, better
Problems and Pitfalls
- James Brightman on GamesIndustry.biz: Feb. 26, 2015: "It's getting harder to be an indie"
- Matthew Handraham on GamesIndustry.biz: Mar. 31, 2015: The harsh reality of living the dream
- Jeff Vogel on Gamasutra: Aug. 10, 2015: The Indy Bubble revisited (or, are we totally-doomed, or just regular-doomed?)
Profits, Funding and Business Structure
- Rachel Weber on GamesIndustry.biz: Jan. 29, 2015: Valve encourages indie game developers through Greenlight project: Steam's community content creators heave earned over $50M
- Dan Crawley on Venture Beat: Jan. 30, 2015: Innovative Bot Colony game pulled - cost $2M-$3M to make but only brought in $10,000
- Ben Kuchera on Polygon: Feb. 2, 2015: Octodad shares the reality of an indie hit $4.9M in revenue for 2.7 years of work
- James Fudge on GamePolitics: Jan 29, 2015: An analysis of video game-related Kickstarter campaigns in 2014
- Ryan Henson Creighton on TechVibes: Jan. 29, 2014: Failing to look before they leap: Just how do all these Indie devs plan to retire?
- Zachary Strebeck on Gamasutra: Sept 21, 2015: Indie developer tax issues: Is game development your hobby or your business?
Accelerators are companies that have money to take on small teams of entrepreneurs and help them get started with their business. Those interested in receiving funding must apply and be approved by the accelerator offering their services. They are early-stage investors that assist in business development and longevity.
- Dean Takahashi on Venture Beat: Jan. 27, 2015: Interview with creator of accelerator company Playhubs founded: Why London's game industry is so strong, and it still needs a startup accelerator
- Jeff Grubb on Venture Beat: Feb. 2, 2015: Cloud-gaming statup Shinra launches accelerator for game developers
- Dean Takahashi on GamesBeat: Mar. 19, 2015: GameFounders accelerator helps game startups take wing in both the East and the West
Indie Companies Standing Out
Patricia Hernandez on Kotaku: Feb. 3, 2015: Gabe Newell shows how customer support is done
Blogs and Personal Stories
Rebekah Saltsman on Gamasutra: Mar. 20, 2015: The IGS Soapbox: Bekah's 5 minutes
James Tan on Gamasutra: Jan 4, 2016: A personal post mortem on Depth